Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Do the marketing people think I'm that stupid?

I was grocery shopping today, and after seeing a rather unusual item, I decided to look at a number of things a bit closer.

The item that got me thinking was something called a "grapple". It's catch phrase was: "Looks like an apple, tastes like a grape." My response was: "If I want a grape, I'll eat a grape."

This biological mutation was created for bored people looking for something a bit different. My advice...put on a blindfold when you open the fridge and see if you can guess what you're eating.

Other marketing "tricks" I noticed were: granola bars in the diet section have no less calories or sugar than basic granola bars. There was biodegradeable glass cleaner for $4 a bottle. It was acetic acid. You and I know that as vinegar. Go buy a bottle of vinegar for 99 cents. The "less fat" potato chips actually had more fat in them than some other chips that didn't advetise low fat.

Next time you're tempted to buy something because of a marketing buzzword (diet, environmentally friendly, etc) check the label. Buyer beware.

No comments: